Monday, March 23, 2015

Addled, purposefully

Writing blog time,

Trying to get back into the habit of writing.  Yes writing is a habit.  I was once a journalism student, before the news became nothing but opinion as everyone makes up things to scoop the other.  Sorry, this is my call it as I see it page.  No pulling punches here.

Well, I started a new blog b-sideswhilebaking.  It's following a book on cakes, my wife challenged me to make all of them a-la the book and movie Julie and Julia.

But tonight whilst blogging away on that page.  I was sipping a particularly nice port wine.  Now I love port wine.  But to the uninitiated, Ports come in two particular varieties.  Tawny and Ruby.  The difference is simple, but leads to complexities I'll leave to experts.

Ruby is the wine + Brandy, and then bottled, meaning, that as the wine ages, it becomes more complex, and any tannins smooth out.  Think of it as a really good, really expensive red wine (but fortified).

Tawny on the other hand, is aged in casks for a period of time, imbuing them with flavor and mellowing them out. Like white wines, they get no better because they are older.

Now I am a huge fan of Tawney Ports.  I was introduced to them by a gem of a port from Seven Hills, a Jesuit Monastery in Australia; Seven Hills Fine Old Tawny.  The kids nowadays would say OMG which is what went through my mind when I drank it.  Unfortunately, they made a determination aways back to not export it.  So I can't get it now....well possibly, I would have to research it further.  But more to the point, I couldn't get it when I was out of Port.  So I purchased somewhere a bottle of Tuke Holdsworth Oporto Reserve.

Now this is a Ruby.  I haven't like any ruby I've tasted prior (well with one exception a Ruby Port I am holding until it's 25 years old, or my daughter marries; whichever comes first.) This is an exceptionally fine port wine, and if I can't get Seven Hills anymore, this will suffice.

Back to the blogging.  I don't know if I am anymore eloquent when inebriated, but I do know that writing being a habit, gets easier and better when you do it more often.  So I will endeavor to write.

Thankfully that's whats on my mind, not politics or religion....

Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment